Revised and Adopted September 2008
1. CERTIFIED CLINICAL HYPNOTIST/HYPNOTHERAPIST
A. Duration of Training – Minimum of 45 hours training in hypnosis/hypnotherapy. Training must be performed by a Certified Trainer of Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy or Certified Master Practitioner of Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy with supervision from a Certified Trainer of Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy.
B. Complete a written proficiency examination with a minimum score of 80%.
C. Demonstration of the ability to identify hypnosis skills and techniques in one of the following methods and to obtain a successful trance session with an individual while using the specific method: Krasner, Erickson, Elman, or Estabrooks.
D. Training to include at least the following areas:
- 1. Overview of the history of hypnosis
- 2. Prime Directives of the Unconscious Mind
- 3. Explanation of hypnosis
- 4. Stages of hypnosis
- 5. Psychology of suggestions
- a. Metaphors – brief
- b. Post-hypnotic suggestions
- 6. Steps to the specific hypnosis method
- 7. Smoking cessation
- 8. Weight loss
- 9. Pain management
- a. Additional pain management techniques
- 10. Follow-up sessions
- 11. Self-Hypnosis
- 12. Overview of the certification process
- 13. Scope of Practice
- 14. Hypnosis as a business
2. CERTIFIED PRACTITIONER of HYPNOSIS/HYPNOTHERAPY
B. Must successfully guide and demonstrate the obtaining of arm catalepsy during a trance session with an individual.
C. Trainings to include the following areas:
- 1. Erickson
- a. Fundamentals and its 3 stages
- b. Patterns of Indirect Suggestion
- c. Preparation for a hypnosis session
- d. Ericksonian Induction I with demonstration and practice
- e. Ericksonian Induction II with demonstration and practice
- 2. Elman
- a. Elman’s Theory About Induction
- b. Elman’s Stages of Hypnosis
- c. Elements of Elman’s Hypnotic Inductions
- d. Pre-talk
- e. Elman Induction I/Practice with pre-talk
- f. Elman Induction II/Practice with pre-talk
- 3. Pendulum – what, why, how with demonstration and practice
3. CERTIFIED MASTER PRACTITIONER of HYPNOSIS/HYPNOTHERAPY
A. Duration of training – Minimum of 120 hours of advanced training in hypnosis/hypnotherapy to include various methods with focus on more complex, therapeutic client issues. Training must be performed by a Certified Trainer of Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy.
B. Must already be at the Practitioner of Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy level.
C. Demonstration of the ability to identify advanced hypnosis skills and techniques and to successfully guide a trance session to obtain full-body catalepsy between two (2) chairs.
D. Training must include the following:
- 1. Advanced Ericksonian Methods
- 2. Advanced Elman Techniques
- 3. Estabrooks Techniques
- a. Overview of Estabrooks Methods
- b. Direct Authoritarian Induction/Practice
- c. Progressive Test Induction/Practice
- d. Convincers/Practice
- 4. Design generative and remedial interventions.
- 5. Evaluate ecological change work.
- 6. Shifting easily back and forth between content and form, and experience and label.
- 7. Multiple Embedded Metaphors – what, why, how with demonstration and practice
- 8. Analog Pendulum – what, why, how with demonstration and practice
4. CERTIFIED TRAINER OF HYPNOSIS/HYPNOTHERAPY
A. Duration of training – Minimum of 40 hours of very advanced training in hypnosis/hypnotherapy to include the skills of how hypnosis/hypnotherapy is successfully taught. Must be taught by a Certified Master Trainer of NLP who is also a Certified Trainer of Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy or a Certified Trainer of Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy that is supervised by a Certified Master Trainer of NLP who is also a Certified Trainer of Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy.
B. Must already be at the Master Practitioner of Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy level.
C. Must be a Trainer of NLP.
D. Must demonstrate competence in the following:
- 1. All of the skills and hypnosis methods taught at the Clinical Hypnotherapy, Practitioner, and Master Practitioner levels.
- 2. Separately and successfully use Ericksonian, Elman, and Estabrooks methods of hypnosis with participants. Krasner method is optional.
- 3. Successfully do a stage hypnosis performance with several participants.
- 4. Design a beginning Accelerated Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy Training.
D. Areas to cover in training must include at least the following:
- 1. Instruction in how/what to cover in a Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy Training.
- 2. Quick review of hypnosis basics for all methods and important tips for training.
- 3. Quick review of the specific methods and important tips for training.
- 4. How-to and important points about doing demonstrations.
- 5. Rapid Induction Methods.
- 6. Optional: Spoon bending.
- 7. Process of certification and Approved Institute certification.
Get In Touch
At AIP, we strive to make your experience the best possible. Call us at 1-877-935-0247. We are happy to answer any questions you may have regarding certification. Our office is located in Las Vegas, NV. Hours of operation are from 4 am to 2 pm PT. Monday through Thursday, holidays excluded.